If you have a Jeep already, you know how difficult it can be to take your Jeep top off yourself. You will probably need a helper or two to get it off, and then you have to find a place to store your top in your garage, which can take up quite a bit of space. Taking your Jeep top off is the best part of owning a jeep, so if you aren't able to take it off in the summer to feel the wind in your hair and the sun on your face, that is a shame. See below for instructions on how to make a hoist for your jeep.
Here's What You'll Need:
- 4 eyebolts
- Ratchet straps (with hooks)
- Chains (optional)
- Pull your Jeep into your garage and measure the length and width of your Jeep top. These measurements will be used for placement of your 4 eyebolts. They should line up with the front and back of your Jeep top. Screw the eyebolts into the ceiling joists so they are secure in the ceiling (simply going through the drywall will not hold the eyebolts securely enough).
- After the eyebolts are attached, you can place the hooks of the ratchet strap in the back eyebolts.
- Lift the back window hatch of your jeep and unlatch the front latches holding your top in place.
- Run the strap through the back window (between the window and the hard top) and through the front (this may require you to lift the top up a bit to get the strap through).
- Attach the front hooks to the two front eyebolts and begin ratcheting the top up to the ceiling and off of your Jeep. If the straps aren't long enough to reach those front hooks, you can use chains to help give you the length needed.
At this point, you should be able to pull your topless Jeep out of the garage and out into the open air. Keep your top hoisted up high enough that you can pull your Jeep or other vehicle into the garage without the top being in the way of anything in your garage.
This hoist provides an easy way to take your Jeep top off in those hot summer months without your needing to have another person to give you a helping hand. It also allows you to keep your hard top stored without taking up any precious space on your garage floor. This hoist will work for a two-door or a four-door jeep.
If you're concerned about how safe any action is for your Jeep, don't be afraid to consult your Jeep dealership.